External Support Policies
This document describes the Technical Support department's policies and
is divided into:
Technical Support Services
- Hours of 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PST Monday to Friday
- Contact methods including
phone (1-604-468-2444) and fax (1-604-468-2445)
- First come, first serve service based on a central voice mail box (or
online messages through email and HTML forms) and a continuously updated
Support queueing system for the internal Support technicians to work
- Maximum three-hour callback time as long as the three-hour deadline
time falls within the 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PST work day.
- The customer is always treated as the number one priority over any of
Support's other work. His needs must never be forgotten or ignored.
- The customer should enjoy himself while dealing with Microplex so
long term relationships can be established. Microplex is known for its
personal attention to customers and for the way they are treated.
- When helping the customer, he should be learning as he goes along. He
should understand what is being done rather than just following steps
- Every customer should receive complete solutions. This means
calls, emails, and faxes should be answered in detail and without missing
any information. This also means correct grammar and spelling as much as
possible. Microplex would rather provide excessive support rather than
too little ensuring that customers have all of the information they need
- When customers have ongoing issues, they should be given
realistic deadlines and be contacted regularly with updates. The customer
should never feel forgotten or that he is being a bother. Support
must be pro-active with these ongoing support issues.
- A customer that calls/emails/faxes in should be contacted within three
hours of his call-in time unless this three hour deadline time doesn't
fall within the 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PST work day. Backup Support
should be brought in anytime this deadline is nearing.
Since all of Microplex's products now include flash, free network
upgrades via TCP/IP are always available. All upgrade files and
instructions can be found at Microplex's FTP site
("ftp.microplex.com:/support") and at the company Web site
The Web site only contains links to the very latest upgrade files
whereas the FTP site contains a fuller selection of versions dating back
TCP/IP network upgrades are performed using TFTP (Trivial File
Transfer Protocol) or FTP (File Transfer Protocol) depending upon the
product model. Each model's upgrade instructions ellaborate on this
If a network upgrade cannot be performed, new flash chips can be
purchased from Microplex at a cost.
Microplex warrants its products to be free from defects in workmanship
and material for the duration of one year from the time of the original
The product warranty does not:
- imply the right to loaner or replacement units during the time
required to perform repairs.
- cover loss or damage caused by shipping, improper use or
installation, unauthorized repair or modification, excessive
environmental conditions, and negligence or abuse.
- include the cost of shipping the unit back to Microplex for repairs.
To obtain service under the product warranty, these steps must be taken:
- Contact Microplex Technical Support to rule out configuration
- If the Support Technician cannot solve the problem and decides
hardware is at fault, a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number
will be given.
- The defective product should be returned to Microplex for repair
noting this RMA number on the box.
RMA numbers will not be given out unless a Microplex Support
Technician has first had the chance to try and solve the problem
remotely. Once thorough testing has been completed and hardware is ruled
as the definite cause, an RMA number can then be given.
When returning a product for repair, these points must be remembered
to ensure proper delivery and no additional costs to either party:
- Package the product securely, in original packaging if possible.
- Indicate the RMA number clearly on the address label of the shipping
- Include a copy of the invoice/receipt.
- Courier the package to Microplex using your preferred courier
company. However, Federal Express is recommended due to its lower charges
for customs. The cost of return to Microplex is your responsibility.
- If you are shipping from a company other than Canada, type up a
commercial invoice containing your
address, Microplex's address as "consignee", Canada as the
country of origin, number of packages in shipment, description of
product, quantity, total value of shipment equal to your purchase price,
"warranty repair" as the reason for return, and a declaration
about the truthfulness of the data on this invoice.
Please see Sample Commercial
Invoice for an example reference.